01 November 2013

Advocacy

I found out yesterday that I have been chosen to be part of a program through the State of Oregon called Partners in Policy Making.  It is to train family members and supporters of people with disabilities how to advocate at the legislative level.  I am excited and wary at the same time.  From January 2014 to June 2014 I am to spend one weekend a month in Salem learning and absorbing advocacy information.  My hotel and food are paid for and I get a stipend for childcare for the girls so it will not be a huge monetary expense.  On top of that my work is excited for me to be involved as it will assist me in advocating on the job too.  I have wondered a few times about getting involved at the political level and now it appears it is going to happen.
As many of you know, I love speaking and being in front of people and I am hoping through this education and experience I will be able to share our family's story in a way that can help others and influence those in power.
For anyone interested in what this training entails here is the weblink. http://ocdd.org/index.php/ocdd/trainings/130
Hopefully I will remember to update the blog with the trainings and let you all know how my advocacy adventures go.
Let the fun begin.

2 comments:

lauren and brad said...

WOW! Way to go Em! That is amazing! Congratulations!!!!

Mother Mary said...

That's my girl!